A revamped version of Persona 5 featuring new and expanded content. Released October 31, 2019 in Japan, with a Western release following on March 31, 2020.
A freshman high schooler who enters Shujin Academy at the same time as the Protagonist. She wields a rapier and lever-action rifle. Her Persona is Cendrillon. She becomes a Confidant for the Protagonist under the Faith arcana.
A school counselor who starts working in Shujin after a traumatic incident happens in April. He becomes a Confidant for the Protagonist under the Councilor arcana.
A mysterious little boy in Mementos who claims to be studying humans. He drives a small blue buggy and asks the Protagonist to help him collect flowers and stamps.
- Joker now wields a grappling hook in the Metaverse, allowing him to reach new areas.
- Jose may appear on random floors in Mementos to sell items or improve enemy drops in exchange for flowers and stamps, respectively. Collecting all the stamps in Mementos will unlock an optional boss fight.
- A brand new Palace with its own Shadow ruler added to introduce Kasumi into the Phantom Thieves.
- Palaces now contain three Will Seeds each, which combine to form a powerful accessory when the full set is found and given to Jose.
- Some Shadows may appear as “Disaster Shadows,” stronger versions that counterattack twice when attacked. However, defeating them will obtain better items than normal combat drops, and cause them to explode on other enemies in the same battle.
- Baton Pass is no longer tied to Confidant Rank but available at the start, and can be leveled up on its own with each party member.
- Technical attacks added, allowing for critical hits on enemies even with no elemental weaknesses.
- The “Showtime” mechanic allows specific duos in the party to deal massive damage to a single enemy in a cinematic attack.
- Gun ammo now fully replenishes after every battle.
- New Palace boss battle mechanics and stages.
- The Reaper can no longer be sent into despair due to weather conditions.
- A new, third semester from after New Years Day is added, with an extra area of Mementos and a new Palace with Ruler included. This also leads to a new Bad Ending and new True Ending.
- The Justice Confidant no longer levels up automatically, but is another character you can spend time with.
- Some new locations are now accessible in the real world, like Kichijoji.
- New minigames can be played, including billiards and darts.
- New events can happen with Caroline & Justine, with trips outside of the Velvet Room. The Protagonist will be rewarded with Skill Cards for taking them on a trip.
- Better graphics, especially to support the PS4 Pro’s capabilities.
- Different main character portraits.
- Revamped in-game text messaging to include picture uploads.
- New music from Shogi Meguro and Lyn, including a new opening theme and battle theme.
- New animations for some characters’ critical moves and dual attacks.
- Players will be able to use the Black Mask form of Crow that was only available as an enemy boss in the original game.
After clearing the first Palace, players can access a brand-new area the “Thieves Den,” a hub world of sorts that can be decorated using items bought with in-game currency known as P Coins. P Coins are earned by clearing special challenges or playing a card game of Tycoon. The player can also view cutscenes and artwork from earlier in the game in this area.
Latest On Persona 5 Royal
All game data on this page is sourced via Giant Bomb.